Rejected Zoppio Mock Application

Discussion in 'Staff Applications' started by Zoppy_, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Zoppy_

Zoppy_ Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Note: I am 12 currently, this is just for feedback!

1) What is your Minecraft username?

My username is Zoppio, if you ever need my NameMC you can find it here.

2) What is your age and timezone (GMT format preferred)?
    I am 12 and I’m in GMT-7 (PST).

3) How long have you played on our servers?
    I started in November 2018, around the same time as PVP_Builder (for reference).

4) In what ways have you helped people on the server?
    • Pretty basic, but I enjoy answering any questions players may have. This could mean anything from commands, to plot size, to anything unrelated to Ruinscraft; if I know the answer I’ll try my best to help them. Similarly, I like to give new players small tutorials. I welcome them, then provide them with a rundown of the basics. The reason I never get tired of this is because I love the thought of a player being greeted so warmly to a new server. It leaves a good impression and will hopefully keep them coming back. I also think about how much I would appreciate this gesture if I were new.

• If a player does not have access to Discord or is new, and they have an issue (such as getting griefed), I will help them out by reporting the problem for them. This is especially helpful for younger users who may not be allowed to access certain websites, and it saves them the inconvenience. I reassure them that I have reported the issue and somebody will get back to us eventually if they get impatient.

• This one is specifically for Atlas. When trading with newer players, I like to give them discounts and free starter items so that they can get themself started. I also like to give them advice on spending gold. What I usually do is tell them its value and how they can keep it safe/avoid being scammed. I want them to know this type of information so they can have a lot more fun, because nobody likes being scammed.

• Something I do on occasion, when a person really needs it, I like to do a larger, more thoughtful gesture. I would normally give a player regular support, such as comforting them and helping find solutions, but when I feel they really need it, I will try extra hard to boost their confidence. An example of this would be the time when I DMed someone with photos of encouraging words, written by players upon request. I won’t name who it was since I don’t want to spark drama all over again, but I think this player really needed it.

• I also like to help people with their build projects. Whether it's a large one or a tiny one, I don’t mind putting in the time.

5) In what ways would you improve the server?
    My ideas:

• My first idea is a build showcase so players can show off their creations proudly. You would submit your creation on a plot much smaller than the usual 225 x 225 ones (maybe 80 x 80 or 100 x 100). To prevent players from abusing the extra plot space, they would only be able to submit one creation a month. You won’t be able to use any plot commands on it (such as /event create and W/E), and you can’t build directly on the plot. To put your build on it you will need to ask an Admin (or even get/create a plugin that allows automatic submission.) The only two submission rules are that it needs to be a completed build and it cannot be something small (such as one house, a pool, a single tree, etc.) Acceptable builds have to be either semi or full mega-builds. Alternatively, have a command that links to a social media that showcases player builds. To submit the build, you would need to DM the account with the photo(s).

• Obviously without the ruthlessness of real life gangs, I think it would be fun to be able to make your own gangs/guilds/clubs in MCATLAS. They would cost 50g to create and players would get the same perms that they get in towns. They can be named anything. Gangs are able to start conflicts with each other by typing /gangwar start (opposing gang) if they belong to the same town. Once the war starts, PVP will be on for only those in the gangs, not bystanders. You can also ally with others with /ally (gang name). The amount of gangs/gang members allowed in one town depends on the amount of players the town has, only a certain percent. I was thinking something like for every 10 town members you can have one gang, and for every 5 town members, 2 gang members. For every gang member, the tax increases by 1g. Gang leaders can claim territory in a town, but they can’t go outside of the town’s border.

How I would improve the server:

While it is nice, staff don’t need to be creative. I don’t think my ideas are what will make me a good staff member. Instead, I offer much more besides creativity. As staff I can greatly lessen the wait time in reports. I am on pretty much every day, and can check the Discord. I’ve seen many players complain about having to wait for hours for a response, if I am staff, I will help put an end to this. I would also help make Ruinscraft a better place by enforcing rules and helping others. I can already do this as a non, however, I think a staff member doing these things has a greater influence.

6) Do you have any previous experience as staff on any other server?
    Only one, but it didn’t require as intense moderation as Ruinscraft. It was more of a friend-based server, and no one really broke rules. If you would like to confirm I can DM you his Discord name/#.

7) Why should we choose you over anyone else?
    • I have a lot of free time, I only have one other thing I go to besides school, other than that, my schedule is clear. Unless I have a large amount of homework, you can find me online on Discord for hours a day, probably more than I should be on. This is handy because I can check #reports-and-help at almost any time, and also assist players. Minecraft is really my only other hobby, so a lot of the time I am online there.

• I can be very patient when dealing with unreasonable players or situations. It takes a lot of effort to tick me off, and I can stand toxic and offensive players. I think this is an extremely important quality, it’s very handy to not lose your temper over even the most offensive things.

• I am fun but mature. It may not seem like it at first glance, but I can be professional when necessary. I prefer to appear happy-go-lucky and overly friendly, but if the matters are serious, I will not hesitate to be stern. I can handle inappropriate imagery in a serious manner, it doesn’t really bother me. I believe that a good staff member is both not afraid to have fun but also knows when they need to take action, and I can definitely do both.

• If on the team, I will punish players by using evidence, not by my opinion of the player. It doesn’t matter if the user drives me nuts, or if we’re the closest of friends, if they break a rule I will do my job as staff in a fair and reasonable way.

• I think I can get along with just about anyone. It doesn't matter how old you are, what your ethnicity is, if your LGBTQ+, have different political views, etc. As long as you're not going out of your way to be outright offensive and toxic, I'll be glad to speak with you! If needed, I will speak with a toxic player (such as discussing a punishment, or if the circumstances call for it), but it isn't my favourite thing to do.

• That leads me into my next point, my flexibility. You need me to do something, I'll do it. That is the position I'm applying for, someone who can be there when needed. If I wasn't willing to do every task, I wouldn't apply.

• Finally, I have a pretty good grasp of both servers, although my specialty is plots. I know almost all the rules by heart as well.

Overall, I’d like to think I’d make a quality staff member. I enjoy helping people with anything they need, no matter how many times it’s been answered. Although my server feature additions aren’t the greatest, I make up for that in personality. After all, just because someone isn’t that creative, doesn’t mean they can’t make an excellent staff member. I am close to always available, I can speak to anybody, I’m mature, fair, and flexible, everything a great Helper is and more. If you were to accept my application, you wouldn’t regret it.

----------​

Thank you for making it to the end, I appreciate you taking time out of your day to read this! I am posting this because I want to hear your feedback, so please drop your suggestions. Have a nice day!

#1 Zoppy_, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. ILagWithShaders

Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +1,696
    it's impossible you can't be 12 bruv

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Ieclen

Ieclen Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +327
    You cannot tell how proud I am of you. For the last few months as we worked on our applications together was very fun for me, and seeing how far this document has come makes me almost cry. You're the best.

iecl out ;)

(p.s. I NOT GIB FEEDBACK I ALREADY DID >:C >:C >:C >:C)

#3 Ieclen, Jul 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Zoppy_

Zoppy_ Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +1,028
    ok im sry i lied i am actually 5!!!

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. ILagWithShaders

Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +1,696
    knew it

6. Zoppy_

Zoppy_ Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Ily homie, thank you so much. Gl with yours!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. KenNyK

KenNyK New Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Give him staff because he said HappyBd to me :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Izer_

Izer_ Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +973
    Zoppy you are the most handsome boy I have ever seen.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Ieclen

Ieclen Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +327
    ;///; I'm gonna cry you think I'm not the handsomest??

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zoppy_

Zoppy_ Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +1,028
    OKOK while I appreciate all of the nice comments, I'm really looking for feedback so I can improve myself and application. Ily guys tho! Also, don't be afraid to be harsh, I want all the details!

11. Izer_

Izer_ Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +973
    Zoppy is the handsomest boy you are the beautifulest girl

• Like Like x 1
  12. RozePoes

RozePoes New Member

Ratings:
    +40
    based

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ieclen

Ieclen Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +327
    thats a true

14. Collardian

Collardian Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +351
    Let's take a look-see.

You can cut off this unnecessary detail and instead put "I started in November of 2018".

I don't understand your idea. For me it comes off as very hard to read. For example, when you say "extra", what do you mean if the plots are going to be smaller? How would the players abuse them? How is submitting one creation a month going to fix it? Judging by the way this is reading, this just looks like a more complex but worse version of Plots. I couldn't tell you how to fix it, because I don't know what you're going for. If you could explain it to the dummy I am, I could give you some feedback.

You can specify what there is to gain from a gang war (the other players items, a certain amount of gold, etc). You can also specify how gang leaders claim territory in a town. I'd assume a good mayor wouldn't want gangs to be running about, so there'd either have to be a system for gangs to claim land without the mayors permission (which would probably be very hard), the mayor would have to allocate land for the gangs (wut), or gangs couldn't claim land at all (which would make it a lot less fun). I don't think gangs would necessarily work in MCAtlas, simply because of the in-game "system" for running towns and nations.

It's fine not to be that creative as a staff member, you are there as a helper to enforce the rules. Kudos to you for recognizing that the current staff team can be very inactive at points. Sometimes even zero. I've seen many cases of people free to spam offensive terms, and staff always showing up late to the party after seeing a report on the discord or forums. You said you could "make Ruinscraft a better place by enforcing rules and helping others", although this is redundant. The role you are applying for requires you to do so, and you've already listed examples of how you would do this and how you already have. One thing you're right about is that normal players do not have the same influence as an authority figure in the server. You can be seen as a backseat moderator or a wannabe or whatever you want to call it, when you're simply just trying to help. Obviously, people are going to follow an authority's rule more than someone who isn't an authority.

Anyone who is applying for a staff position on a Minecraft server probably has a lot of free time, you could cut that bullet point off. I find with most applications that people are more so listing good character traits rather than reasons they should be chosen over others. These are all traits that a staff member should demonstrate already, you need to tell them why you're different from the rest. I can't tell you why you're unique, that's for you to decide. However, I can tell you if you're not saying why you're unique. I suggest that you make MCAtlas your specialty instead of Plots, because that is where most of the players are.

You shouldn't say terms such as "I'd like to think I'd make a quality staff member", you need to be more affirmative in your sentence structure. You could say instead "I know I will make an amazing staff member". I would say most of this information is redundant, but I'm assuming this is meant to be a conclusion (what else would it be?).

You're welcome. :)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. northikoto

Ratings:
    +1,104
    Zoppy,

Since you’re 12 right now I have to reject this but feel free to continue to collect feedback on this post. Thanks for applying and I wish you good luck in the future!

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Hafixion

Hafixion Member

Ratings:
    +170
    Ageist

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Emperyia

Emperyia Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +278
    my advice instead of making an application that you knew wouldn't be accepted would have been to suggest something in Server Discussion, but this is a good application nontheless, see you in a year or less

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. RozePoes

RozePoes New Member

Ratings:
    +40
    guys im 12

19. Roux007

Roux007 Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +207
    This is the most Thorough application ive ever seen. Good job. You are more mature than most people here.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ieclen

Ieclen Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +327
    Hey Zop! Because of your wish for some more advice, I took some time to explain this in VC with you, and I'm writing this to make sure you remember. >:(
    Like how Collardian explained it, re-explain your build showcase idea.
    Since I have helped you a lot with these ideas, I know them pretty well! However, I can see how it was easily misread. It's a bit difficult to explain, but I'd say you need to take this paragraph, that is trying to visually explain something on paper, into a document. Not a speech, a document.
    Your idea for gang wars is janky.
    You and I are in the same boat in that we aren't natives to MCATLAS. We are MCPLOTS players at heart. This effects your idea for the server, as it seems like there was a different amount of focus brought onto each of your ideas. This is the same with me, so I recommend spending a good while actually converting to MCATLAS, learning the tricks, and becoming absolutely familiar to it.
    Balance the parts of your ideas and improving of the server, please!
    Your ideas over shadow your second section here, so I'd recommend tipping the scales towards the latter group. You can add stuff on cracking down on toxicity, taking loads off of current staff members, and you can find many more cooler ideas for this section else where.
    TL;DR
    Your application is phenomenal. But like everything, it needs work. The main things are to rewrite your build showcase idea, take some time to craft a new MCATLAS idea, and balance out the sections of the 5th question. See you for the next what, 3 months?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • About Ruinscraft

Ruinscraft is a gaming community formed around Minecraft. We host a Minecraft server at mc.ruinscraft.com, come join today!
  • Important Notice

Ruinscraft, LLC is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Minecraft or Mojang AB. Minecraft is copyright of Mojang AB. All donations are handled by Ruinscraft, LLC. All inquiries should be directed to: [email protected]
  • Twitter

Follow us on Twitter for status updates, news, and more!

• Donate

To help support the future development of Ruinscraft and to earn rewards on our Minecraft servers, you can donate here.