Rejected TheTrueMunchkin's Staff Application

Discussion in 'Staff Applications' started by TheTrueMunchkin, Jul 13, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheTrueMunchkin

Ratings:
    +64
    Lets Talk

I'm going to preface this; Sorry to The Staff Team, I don't mean to offend in anything I say, nor do I mean to offend by the fact that I've prematurely applied, I'd like you to read what I have to say before you reject this, if not then after.

I'm going to be writing this as if I was speaking to you formally, seriously, and directly, I think that is the best way to get my message across and to get things done. Obviously I did not come across as I wanted to in my previous application and I will attempt to rectify that.

This turned out to be a long one, so if you want we can setup a time and I will read this to you out loud. I'd actually prefer that it be read that way so that my emotions can come across better, and you can ask for more details about what I'm saying.

1) What is your Minecraft username?

My Minecraft username is "TheTrueMunchkin" I'm certain that you all know who I am at this point, and I will likely never change it, but just in case here is my NameMC page: https://namemc.com/profile/TheTrueMunchkin.1

2) What is your age and timezone (GMT format preferred)?

I'm 17, My current timezone is MDT or GMT -6, like my name, I'm not planning on changing my timezone either.

3) How long have you played on our servers?

I joined RC November 22nd, 2019, so it has been 7 months since I joined, now nearing 8.

4) In what ways have you helped people on the server?

The Archive:

During my time on atlas I have dedicated most of my efforts the the creation of The Great Archives of Ink, which is my public collection of artifacts, books, banners, and maps. The Archive is designed to help players obtain information and preserve things of historical value so they are not lost.

In my work on The Archive I attempted to provide the lowest possible prices, paying for materials and setting aside money for when I need to purchase an item. In the past I have encouraged players to set up their own museums and public collections; I personally spoke with zoosemeus who owned a museum in Helsinki, I would help him identify unknown banners he had obtained and we would exchange items to further each-others' collections.

Munchkin's Taskchamber:

As many players are aware, there is a profound lack of content on the server; The overall population of both atlas and plots has been in a steady decline. Only last december we see could that during peak hours, atlas alone would consistently reach upwards of 70-80 players every day.

With this lack of content I have been spending some of my most recent time creating games for members of the server to play. In early June I hosted a multi day competition where players would compete against each other for a prize of 1000g, the competition consisted of 5 different tasks where players would be whittled down until there was one winner. Later continuing that idea I created a test of willpower with another 1k prize, seeing who could persevere enough to win. More recently I have instituted a lesser known competition through which players must collect named books called "Quils." The players all start with one Quil, and must buy, or use their own connections to amass the most Quils.

Though these are certainly projects for my own amusement, they help others too. It helps to quell the boredom that we have. It certainly takes work, and the only benefit is that people have fun.

General Aid:

When I help players I like to focus on the individuals. As it stands I am not the most helpful person on the server. I don't think that there is anyone on the server who consistently dedicates all their time to helping, though that seems like what I am expected to say, I cannot.

When there are people who I know, and I know a fair bit, (I spoke individually with at least 60 people within the past 2 days for the competition alone,) I do try to help them where I can; Though that does not mean I am omnipotent, I can't be helping everyone at once and if I want to manage my competitions, endless lists of projects, and my archive, that isn't sustainable.

But when someone like gaareth asks for stone for his build, I will donate. When players ask a question in chat, I will answer if I am free and if no one has already answered them. Even during the powder hunt I answered more than one person on where they could find certain powders since they were new to the server. I even spent some time (partially for my own amusement) guiding and playing powders like Stairway To Heaven for people who were climbing my tower so they wouldn't be mind-numbingly bored. We had good times, and I would hand out cake to people who made it to the top, or to people who I thought deserved an anniversary cake in general.

Even then when I heard that very little had been planned I spent some time with gaareth brainstorming ideas, so that they could be relayed to you in the staff team directly instead of being ignored. That's how we came up with the idea of a Ruinscraft based resource pack, it's still broken and poorly made but at the very least I think that it was worth the effort.

I am trying at the very least, when players ask in chat I am not always the one to answer but I do see what they are saying. When no one else answers I more than not try to help. When I am asked directly I will always try, and that's the best that I can say.

Intermission:

So this didn't fit within the 20000 character limit, I recommend you get up, stretch, and get some water before you read on. Seriously, like I said before, you can get me to read it for you, I'd really love to talk and practice my reading outloud.

#1 TheTrueMunchkin, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. TheTrueMunchkin

Ratings:
    +64
    Part 2:

5) In what ways would you improve the server?

Overall:

I think there are a lot of things that need fixing. When we broach this topic, often people talk about creative things that should be added such as natural disasters or trade systems. We are ignoring the issues with the server, and talking about more interesting and less scary things.

The Rules:

To start, the server rules are outdated; They have been built upon through the years that the server has been running. It's like burying a body, we started with a light sprinkling of dirt, then we add more soil every time it becomes unearthed. By the end of the year we have a mountain of dirt which is hardly covering a nasty problem, and people are starting to notice the smell. The layers are building up and it's time we did this properly, all at once. We have seen this many times before, with Lechograd clearly breaking the rules and not being deleted, with the horribly implemented animal griefing rule which is still not enforced to this day, with "legal" hacking we saw in kotl.

What's more is that punishments are irregular and based on circumstance. There is no proper system of punishment, and there are many "invisible" rules which are also enforced. Depending on the staff, a player might be muted for a day, and another muted for 2 weeks. We saw this once that when rimflakes appealed for a temporary ban he was given a permanent unappealable mute, for no other reason than staff thought it would be fair. There was no warning to this, and when I talked to rimflakes about it he said he would rather just serve his ban, he has now quit due to this.

This isn't only a problem on the players' end. When I spoke with linux_virus about his time on the staff team he told me about how absolutely degrading it was and how it killed the server for him. Staff have no way to know what a proper punishment is. They must decide for themselves what's fair and as a result they often get harassed, and are subjected to extreme toxicity. We saw this too, when moust was permanently banned, and linux ended up retiring, having much hate directed to him and other helpers.

I have looked at other earth servers, and their rules are far beyond what we have. I have taken thirty minutes to create this: https://github.com/Ruinscraft/mcatlas-history/wiki/Rules-Draft Which is a very rough draft of what the rules could look like, where we would build them from the ground up, and then create a table of punishments which staff could follow. I would like to work with Drew, Royal, Ice, and the rest of the staff team on this foremost. I am certain that this would at least alleviate the stress caused by complaining players by solving the problem at the root. I would like to work with you directly on this. Creating something fair, either by building them from the ground up, or cross-referencing and then redesigning systems which we find on other servers.

I can not say this enough, I would like to talk, and I want to work with you and help you. Because I know you, the administrators, have for the large majority, only yourselves to talk to. I would like to get into a vc, bounce ideas, and discuss what you think would work. I do it all the time when I am coming up with ideas for my games, or for what I want to do on the server. Lets talk.

Staff:

Next I think that we need to look at our current staff protocol following the rules. Frankly I think we need a way to keep staff active and prune those who aren't. Obviously that sounds harsh but we have many helpers and moderators who are simply gone. Frankly in my entire 7 months on the server, I have not seen these people once, either in discord, forums, or in-game.

Following this train of thought I think it would be good to have systems in place to get staff more involved with the community. Perhaps they could host events, or maybe just talk to people about what should be added. One of the most known and most liked moderators on the server is JoeBoney; Though he is not always on he has a pseudo-cult type following. This is mainly due to his youtube channel, and how much he just talks with people. He makes content which people enjoy and I think we should pursue that idea further.

Obviously I'm going to speak about fixing punishments. We should just setup a list of crimes and their respective punishments that staff can follow. The system I have in mind is where we would be able to have a spreadsheet of increasing severity; where if they build up punishments, they will eventually be permanently muted and banned following the system.

I also think that this system should be public. Staff are not the secret police, and players should understand why they are being punished when they are punished.

The Current State of Suggestions:

As of now there is almost no proper system in place for player feedback. The #ideas channel is almost ignored, the ideas and feedback forum is stonewalled.

I have even talked with staff, who when browsing through the forums said they laughed at the lengthy ideas and feedback threads; Threads which people have compiled and thought out. Because it is funny how much effort they have put into something and it will be ignored.

I believe there are ways to prevent this, and I think these things can be mended.

Staff Applications:

The foremost issue with staff applications is the wait time. In both mine and whitetigers' case as far as I know we were kept on the under review listing for over two weeks until we were ultimately rejected. In other cases it has taken over a month for these applications to be accepted or denied.

The official cooldown for applications is two weeks between rejections. This is designed to give applicants time to rewrite and fix their failed applications, and also to create a long enough period so as to prevent spam. Under no circumstances should an application take the course the cooldown to be rejected or accepted.

What's more is that the rules are designed so that players may only re-apply after rejection. This means that a player who is worthy enough to be listed as Under Review, must wait a further length beyond those who were rejected. In this case I will be using myself as an example. Obviously this very application does not follow the proper waiting guidelines as it has not been more than 2 weeks since I was rejected. Consider this. Lets say I work very hard on my application, so hard that it is put under review for half a month. Then someone else writes a meme application at the same time as I do, we release it at the same date and their application is immediately rejected while I am kept waiting. According to the rules, because they wrote a crappy application, and because I wrote a good one, because they were rejected first, they get to post first because their cooldown is now shorter for writing a bad application. That means that because my application was good, I am put on an extra time out, I am punished for writing a good, application with effort.

Frankly it's an easy fix, just set the application cooldown to one week after your first application is posted instead of rejected. If I am punished because I waited the same amount of time as them, but you say I can't apply either way, I consider that unfair.

I think we all understand how much work it takes to apply in these cases, and I think that in this case the rule should change, it isn't even hard to do.

Next, when a player is writing a staff application they will fill this question with boundless ideas for things they want added. If the player is accepted into the staff team, the ideas are left behind, if the player is denied, the ideas are ignored.

I think the easiest fix to this would be to force staff into accomplishing their ideas. Simply put if an application is accepted, it should be the duty of the applicant to complete their improvements to the server if they wish to become moderator.

Obviously I have some stuff to say about staff applications as I am biased, and I do believe that my staff application had some good ideas that have likely been completely ignored due to its rejection. As a player, and as a possible candidate I understand what needs to be changed and I am willing to propose solutions so please, lets talk.

Transparency:

Lets talk about this. It's time we discuss the development of the server. It's completely stagnated as far as most players are concerned. We all know about how war hasn't been added, we all know about how end was given up on. As I have said previously this lack of content has led to a steady decline in server popularity.

I think the solution to this is to get you, the administrators, the staff team, involved with the community, talking about upcoming projects and developing ideas together. I suggested this months back and drew told me that you have one. Would you please release your timeline to the public, we want to know what kind of things you guys have planned, what you are excited about. Drew told me that he couldn't release it because it had secret stuff on it, that's fine. Just label your secret stuff, as "secret stuff" on your timeline, that way we can see what you are working on and talk about it.

Lets say you wanted to add the end, but you were stagnating because you can't think of anything or come up with the inspiration. I think it would be incredibly useful if you were able to tell this to the public, if you could just say in developments "Anyone got ideas for the end?" or you just hopped into a vc, and then we could brainstorm solutions to your problems.

This is a tangent, but a while back there was a biology study on proteins, where researchers had to create these proteins that would most efficiently perform a task. With very few people, they would only be able to come up with a few ideas. What this research team did is they created a game and put it online, where people would be able to digitally design and optimise these proteins. Through this input of course the researchers were able to come up with the most efficient solution to their problem.

You could do much the same, if we know what issues you are having, we have more than 100 people who are capable of giving you assistance, that is 100x the amount of people you have alone, and I'm lowballing this.

Staff Communication:

Okay this is a small one but it's extremely important. I have seen many times, cases where staff will punish users twice, often it's just due to miscommunication. So, if you don't have a private discord category for staff, add one. You could put the punishments list there, you could discuss ideas, super easy. Then create a system where staff have to checkmark any reports posted in #reports-and-help, or at the very least where staff have to say that they've resolved the report. Perhaps you could create a ticket system where people post formal reports in discord following a format, there's a hundred solutions and all of them are good.

Conclusion:

There's more I'd say on all of this but if you reach out to me, lets have a conversation and discuss these ideas. That's what this is all about. It's not criticism, I believe that you have missed things and that there are cracks in the system. I also believe that you simply do not have a solution, and so I propose these, if not to be the solutions, then to help you find them. Lets talk about it.

6) Do you have any previous experience as staff on any other server?

Yeah, though most of the servers I've helped on are small, and most of them have long gone inactive.

Most notably I've been administrator on two servers (Though not administrator to the level Drew, Royal, and Ice are.)When I was an admin I learned the basics of how to run a server, how to work with configs, adding plugins, etc. One of the servers was notably an earth type server similar based on a map of the UK instead of the world.

More often than not I've been a moderator, just chilling with players, banning hackers, and helping out. I know how to deal with people, I know how to talk with them. A moderator is just that. They mediate between helping out players, and helping out staff.

In the rare cases I've been a builder, I learned some neat artsy environment skill, this helped me out later on with creating terrain on plots, and even making my graveyard on atlas look absolutely banger (though I'm completely garbage at building houses and stuff.)

I have been helper too but for some reason I've been helper far less than I've been a moderator.

7) Why should we choose you over anyone else?

I like to think I am active in the community, you can see this in my archive, my tasks, I've even started hosting a little story time reading thing every Friday. This week unless we get better suggestions, we will probably be reading some Lovecraft, LOTR, or Harry The Poisonous Centipede. I just like talking to people who like talking to me. We talk about anything and everything, even as I was writing one of my previous answers we were talking about Icelandic volcano bread. That's just the kind of thing I think would be good to have in a staff member, someone who you can always talk to about anything, and just have a good time with.

I do have experience. I've played Minecraft for years. Though obviously not this server, I know what it takes to be a staff member, I know what goes on. What I don't know, I try to learn. I'm always up for learning how things are done, though of course I will go about them in my own way, I do care for my work, and I put effort into my decisions. When I want to do something I do it, as best as possible. In this case I wanted to show flaws in the server, I wanted to say the problems, the solutions, and I wanted to say that I want to help how I can.

As you can see I am also a pretty good writer, I try to be clear in what I'm saying, and after so long I've gotten good at it.

I want to improve the server how I actually can. I want to get things done. I also want to talk about the server, about its flaws. I have lots of ideas, and lots of time, so lets talk. Just give me a heads up.

#2 TheTrueMunchkin, Jul 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. TheTrueMunchkin

Ratings:
    +64
    Not apart of the staff application:
    Hahahaha, this one took a bit of time so I hope it doesn't get rejected immediately, foremost I'd like to thank people for their feedback last time, I've been working on being more active in chat where I can. I'd also like to thank Whitetiger for their idea with the formatting, it really helped me to formulate my ideas better, and I just think it looks cleaner.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. Izer_

Izer_ Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +975
    Wait why hath doth applied twice insteadeth of waiteth 2 weekth?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. aaquamarine

aaquamarine Member

Ratings:
    +68
    bruh this is a whole novel

6. TheTrueMunchkin

Ratings:
    +64
    This is why \/

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Izer_

Izer_ Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +975
    But is this minor injustice worth getting antsy about instead of just waiting? I love you Munchkin, but this is overkill. I really wanted your last app to get accepted, but this would be just easier to make another application in two weeks.

And the reason joke applicants can reapply soon is because it is a joke. If it is a joke, shouldn't they logically have to have no cool-down if they want to make a serious application next? Is it even an injustice? If all they are making are jokes, does it hurt if they get to make more applications than somebody who makes serious applications? I don't understand the need to rebel against the two-week-rule just because of joke applications. Come on, man.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. aaquamarine

aaquamarine Member

Ratings:
    +68
    yoda bean man got mad

• Like Like x 1
  9. Demadunk

Demadunk New Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Last time I read this much in one sitting I had a seizure. (sey-zure?) (See-zer?) (Munchkin don't talk to me on pronunciation)

Good read though!

10. hallucinationman

Ratings:
    +124
    I have to agree with what he says here, the state of staff on this server is disappointing. As far as we can see they don't suggest anything to help the server other than what their applications say. And they only give feed back on one out of every thousand ideas, which is usually an idea by a retired staff or someone they all know very well. this keeps making the staff-player gap wider. In regards to staff activity, during the main playing hours you rarely see a staff online. They usually only show up to deal with reports then leave to do something else, i get that people have stuff to do irl but with 25 staff there should be a staff member(s) online for more than 2 hours a day, bc at the moment staff activity on the server averages about 2-3 hours a day for the entire base in my experience. and in regards to rules they are all so vague that the punishments are pretty much biased.

11. hallucinationman

Ratings:
    +124
    Ive also seen how when staff are accepted, for the most part, they stop being active in the servers community. This being for instance the #mcatlas channel in the discord and the #ideas channel, they still talk alot in the offtopic memes ect but dont talk about the server

12. ILagWithShaders

Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +1,696
    you gotta wait 2 weeks rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

• Creative Creative x 1
  13. northikoto

Ratings:
    +1,109
    TheTrueMunchkin,

Thank you for applying. Unfortunately, we have decided to reject this application. You may reapply in two weeks and can feel free to DM me for feedback.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  14. ILagWithShaders

Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +1,696
    Im not the one to say this, but long mutes (2d+) are based off of previous offenses, not just because of the offense committed
    also north wow you fast ended my streak
    wait 2 weeks mate

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. ILagWithShaders

Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +1,696
    ok final comment: I see your points but I would have to disagree on most of them, if you want reasons why feel free to dm me (pls dm me I want to write smth long)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. TheTrueMunchkin

Ratings:
    +64
    I thought so, I'd like you to read it tho

• Like Like x 1
  17. Benjiii1

Benjiii1 New Member

Ratings:
    +11
    did north even have time to read it all before she rejected it?

18. northikoto

Ratings:
    +1,109
    Don’t worry I actually did read this (twice) in its entirety. You may dm me if you would like an explanation or feedback.

• Late Late x 1
  19. ILagWithShaders

Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +1,696
    north why you rate funny Im serious as all hell I am eager to write an essay to someone
    you get late bc you copy me cringe cringe cringeeeeeeee
    this is not funny north is mean mod toxic mod mod rood
    ok bye rrrrr
    munchkin dm me pls

#19 ILagWithShaders, Jul 13, 2020
  20. Ninjacreeper14

Ninjacreeper14 New Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Don't be discouraged Munchkin. This application is very insightful and I like the direction you went with it. I have no doubt you will be a very important player to the community in the future.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Ruinscraft

Ruinscraft is a gaming community formed around Minecraft. We host a Minecraft server at mc.ruinscraft.com, come join today!
  • Important Notice

Ruinscraft, LLC is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Minecraft or Mojang AB. Minecraft is copyright of Mojang AB. All donations are handled by Ruinscraft, LLC. All inquiries should be directed to: [email protected]
  • Twitter

Follow us on Twitter for status updates, news, and more!

• Donate

To help support the future development of Ruinscraft and to earn rewards on our Minecraft servers, you can donate here.