Under Review TheTrueMunchkin's Staff App

Discussion in 'Staff Applications' started by TheTrueMunchkin, Jun 27, 2020.

1. imnyrsik

imnyrsik New Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Hello Munchkin, In my opinion you wrote the application very good and I hope you will become staff member and change the server !

• Like Like x 3
  2. Captain_Wheatley

Captain_Wheatley New Member

Ratings:
    +38
    welp guys, munchkin helper moment

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. coolanimegirl

coolanimegirl New Member

Ratings:
    +16
    bruh are they gonna reply

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Hafixion

Hafixion Member

Ratings:
    +70
    yes. I like. make him staff rn.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. JamessV

JamessV Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +79
    cool app, I liked the part about the playlist :D You're someone I think of when I think of an MCAtlas regular. You're always on, almost always helping people through different creative projects. Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Emperyia

Emperyia Member

Ratings:
    +160
    unironically i think youre a pretty good guy, stays out of trouble, etc, does alot of cool stuff for the server too, so yeah youd be a good fit
    gl bro

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. rimflakes

rimflakes New Member

Ratings:
    +30
    if they are taking this long, they will probably accept. good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mijo6000

mijo6000 New Member

Ratings:
    +38
    E

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. OinkerCertified

Ratings:
    +188
    This is a wonderful start! Thing is, it could be improved a lot. With or without your permission, I'm going to give you some advice!
    For question four, this is an important question- this determines HOW a possible staff member has been helping the server and it's players even before becoming a staff member. Currently what you have done doesn't "Help" the server, in my opinion. What they mean by "How have you helped the server?" is if you report people, answer questions in chat, etc.
    Question five is by far the most important question. This is where you express your creativity. You need this to be long and have reasons why these ideas would help the server.
    State your idea, why it is a good idea, how it would help the server, and why it is needed. Make sure you have LOTS of good, well-thought out ideas!
    You should split the ideas into sections. Let's say you have an idea about.. I don't know, improving the chat filter?
    You could do something like this:
    Improving the Chat Filter

Blah blah blah chat filter yada yda improve yes yes

Overall, this application is a wonderful start!

• Like Like x 1
  10. whitetiger131

Wiki Editor

Ratings:
    +463
    Oinker we're buddies but Imma have to disagree, I think Munchkin def has improved the server - archiving and wiki editing improve the server by contributing to its history, helping players get adjusted, and simply improving the culture. His activity on the discord also improves the server.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mijo6000

mijo6000 New Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Chad moment ik most history u can @ me E

12. whitetiger131

Wiki Editor

Ratings:
    +463
    As per your request in discord, I've written out feedback below. You've been a positive influence on the server and have personally helped me out before, so I really hope you get accepted!

1. I would include more details under Part 5, because you've boiled it down to more staff availability and fixing the player-staff relationship. I like how you focus a lot on actions within your capacity as a potential staff member, but there are still other things you can do to improve the server as a staff member. Resolving arguments, solving flame wars, handling doxxing and other serious rule violations are all ideas I think you can add and flesh out. If/when you add these ideas/sections, make sure to elaborate on them too! An important part of a helper role is handling this kind of drama so it's important to talk about how you would make people calm down in chat and what techniques you would use to resolve arguments.

2. Elaborate on how you specifically interact with players to improve the community in Part 4. In an earlier reply, I mentioned how I think the work you do helps the server by contributing to its history, but I think you can also add how you've specifically helped individual players on the server. Examples include being active on the discord and being helpful to players who have dm'd you for various things, helping WizardBard identify museum artifacts, and helping me with data packs (those are a few limited examples, but that's just the stuff I've witnessed, I'm sure there's more.) I would frame this as "Helpful Community Presence" if you were going to make another paragraph and add it - I think it's something that's worthwhile to add because it shows staff that you are positive when interacting with the community and that your positive influence on the server extends past cultivating the history of the server.

3. Under Part 7, when you talk about why you should be chosen over others, I would also tie it back to dedication, reputation, and specific instances of you helping players on the server. Server activity is a great qualification to have, but I think tying back to your positive acts and interaction with individual players are really important to add too because it gives insight to your character. Expand more on the paragraph about your reputation and relations with people on the server. It's one of your biggest strengths as an applicant, so elaborate more on it! Some other positives you can mention are "good community reaction to becoming staff", "first step into fixing the staff-player base relationship", and "easier ability to resolve disputes". From a staff perspective, those are really important qualities to have, so I believe this is important to add!

4. Frame your paragraphs under individual subpoints. (I made the same feedback on Cap's app, so you can look there for what I mean exactly). I would create a "Activity" subpoint (first paragraph), "Reputation" subpoint (second), "Adherence to rules" (third). This helps frame them as clear reasons to accept you over others, and makes the section look better in general.

5. Under Part 7, I would also recommend adding (if applicable), any real life leadership positions that have made you responsible or mature, since your experience running the News Hub discord server and previous staff experience on other servers already expresses you are able to manage players.

You're a pleasure to play and vibe in Ruinscraft Voice with, and I sincerely hope you get in! GG on under review!

- tiger

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. TheTrueMunchkin

TheTrueMunchkin New Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Thanks, this is crazy good and I love how introspective the critique is. When I was writing the application I was thinking a lot about the individuals and less of the overall situation. I think it's something that should really be considered bc I see these people having flame wars and there's little punishment or ways to deal with it properly beyond that, though I'd like to believe that by talking with both sides I could resolve situations like these, who knows until I actually try out the methodology.

Ima be honest, I just didn't think that I had enough specific situations of helpfulness that would be good enough for an application, lest it sound shallow or built up. When I was writing I tried to focus on specific cases of indirect aid, or whatever you want to call it hahaha.

Yeah I should definitely polish this up, I think I could actually tie in a few specific examples from the server right now, I just never really gave it more thought then that.

Yes, that's such a good idea, I was following a sudo essay style with my writing by just having a few key bodies relating to the topic, but yes that is such an unbelievably good idea, idk why I don't see it in more applications bc I would actually love to play around with this type of formatting. I don't think I'll edit the application to fit this format because it would be less of an edit and more of a complete critical alteration. But ima make sure to use it in any future applications where I can. Seriously, best idea I've heard in a while hands down.

I'm actually going to disagree with this one since I just don't like getting my real life involved with my gaming. Beyond that I also think it would be really easy to lie since there is no way to prove anything I'm saying is true if I were to claim any of the leadership roles I have in life, and finally I just don't think I could phrase any examples and have them carry through with a proper tone if I were to put them in here.

Ty so much for this stuff tho, I really wanna pursue this further bc it's cool to see such good criticism where I can see ways to improve my writing, but it's also 11pm and I wanna sleep haha. ty tho seriously. :)

14. whitetiger131

Wiki Editor

Ratings:
    +463
    No problem! I put a lot of work into it because I genuinely think you deserve staff and would love to see you on the team! Good luck!

15. OinkerCertified

Ratings:
    +188
    I said it was a good start. I probably typed it wrong- he DOES help the server, but staff members need to help the server in more ways than he is currently, and they also need to help with monitoring, etc.
    Also, he isn't very active in the chat, which is a BIG part in helping the players get adjusted and improving culture. If he wants to do things like that, he needs to be way more active in the chat, since that will GREATLY help him do that.

16. Emperyia

Emperyia Member

Ratings:
    +160
    nah bro, he’s helped the server in big ways, ive been here since launch day and since day 1 of his arrival he’s been a great guy that i respect (although he fucked over Prussia), and that proves he’s flawed too, which is something that should be considered in an app imo, being flawed is good. hes overall a great guy that will help in more ways than one.

17. TheTrueMunchkin

Ratings:
    +38
    Yes I actually really screwed over Prussia, it basically died under my leadership bc I had no idea how to run a town, much less a big town, I ended up spending most of my time when leading Prussia writing and gathering books for my library. Seriously tho Prussia feels bad man hahaha

Still love Prussia tho, was best town <3

#37 TheTrueMunchkin, Jul 5, 2020 at 7:04 PM
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020 at 7:10 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. OinkerCertified

Ratings:
    +188
    I've never seen him active in chat. If what you say is true, I should have seen him helping a lot more. I have not.
    The reason I say *I* should have seen him helping a lot is because I'm on a LOT, for hours on end.
    If he IS helping, then shouldn't more people know of it? I never experienced/knew he helped people out, which is a surprise to me since I have no life and play all day.
    Sure, he's a great guy, but before I go willy nilly and say "AHhhHHh just because these people say he should join the team, I agree!", I WANT to actually witness him helping, and USING the chat. Using the chat and moderating it is basically the KEY point of being a good staff member. I rarely see him using the chat, much less helping people.
    Sure, he's a great guy and he probably DOES all of this stuff, but until I witness it, I'm not going to say whether or not he should join the team.
    I want to see him in action.
    If I haven't seen a player active in chat, I don't think they'd be a very good staff member. No offense, but if you aren't active in the community (as in chat), you aren't going to have a good chance at being a staff member or being a very good one.
    Work on this, and I'll likely see him as a good candidate.
    Currently, I want to see him in action.
    However, I agree that he's a wonderful guy and he can become a good candidate for staff easily if he improves on what I said previously a bit.
    None of what I said was meant to hurt Munch, nor make him feel less than he is. He's a wonderful guy, and is very creative and thought-out!
    The taskchamber was to well-planned, which is a good characteristic to have if you want to join the staff team.
    Good luck!

#38 OinkerCertified, Jul 5, 2020 at 11:34 PM
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2020 at 11:45 PM
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. TheTrueMunchkin

Ratings:
    +38
    Yeah no I don't really talk in chat that much, I do more discord stuff or usually I'll be in a call with people, that doesn't mean I don't pay attention to chat, I just don't really talk in chat bc usually anyone I need to talk to will be in voice with me already, and then helping people would probably be more of a matter of paying attention if I become helper as I've said in a previous response.

Edit: also yeah no offense taken, feel free to criticize me as much as you think is necessary since that's the whole idea of the feedback, it's actually more helpful when people are willing to give me criticism bc that usually means there's something I need to fix.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • About Ruinscraft

Ruinscraft is a gaming community formed around Minecraft. We host a Minecraft server at mc.ruinscraft.com, come join today!
  • Important Notice

Ruinscraft, LLC is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Minecraft or Mojang AB. Minecraft is copyright of Mojang AB. All donations are handled by Ruinscraft, LLC. All inquiries should be directed to: [email protected]
  • Twitter

Follow us on Twitter for status updates, news, and more!

• Donate

To help support the future development of Ruinscraft and to earn rewards on our Minecraft servers, you can donate here.