Under Review NotWshi's Staff Application

Discussion in 'Staff Applications' started by LBGator1031, May 18, 2020.

1. LBGator1031

LBGator1031 Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Hello, I'll be applying for Helper today. Feedback, constructive criticism, or grammar advice is highly appreciated as it can help me improve and learn more. Anyways, in advance thank you for reading.

1) What is your Minecraft username?

My current Minecraft username is NotWshi, but if you would like more history on my past usernames, please click here. I was also known as LBGator1031 & wshi. I am not planning on changing my username.

2) What is your age and timezone (GMT format preferred)?

I am 16 years old, and my time zone is Central Standard Time (CST). In terms of GMT format, it is (GMT-6).

3) How long have you played here on Ruinscraft?

I have been playing on Ruinscraft for about 4-5 years.

4) In what ways have you helped people on the server?

Questions: As many people have questions on the server, I try to answer them as best as I can. I answer common questions such as, what commands to use, background or history on the server, or World Edit.

World Edit & Builds: I understand the struggle of beginning with World Edit, therefore I try to offer as much information or demonstration as possible for people who do not understand the World Edit commands yet. As with World Edit, I have also helped many with their projects or builds, such as roleplays, maps, or even minigames. When asked for criticism on builds, or suggesting new ideas, I try to pitch in as much as possible, helping them expand on their idea of.

Arguments: Usually when a public argument or drama related situation appears on global, I assert the situation with a calm, and collected attitude. I often tell players who are being harassed or annoyed by a troll to ignore them until they stop themselves, or until a staff member steps in.

Support: During my time on Ruinscraft, I have had many friends or players talk to me about their personal problems or situations in which they feel discomfort or stress. When this happens, I talk to them thoroughly about their problem and try to make sure they feel like they're in a safe space where they can express their feelings. I always want to make sure they look on the bright side of their dilemmas and look for a better solution so they can learn and grow.

5) In what ways would you improve the server?

Ideas: I have many ideas that could improve, or help the server become more fun and unique, as well as catering to the community. Sharing ideas is a good way to get creative flows going, so I'll be sharing a couple of ideas that I have constructed.

/Afk: This command has been requested by people for a while now, and I believe it should be an idea considered for the server. I have thought of a way to add in this feature without it flooding chat, or becoming an annoyance. When a player types /afk, a line of text will appear over their head with "AFK". This will subtly get the point across that a player is afk.

Competitions & Events: In the past, there have been competitions/events in which players go against each other in pvp, or building. I think more competitions should be held as it brings the community together, and because it is simply just fun. The sky's the limit when coming up with new events, and if you really want to involve the community, you can take a public poll on what new event they want the most. I think players will be pleased with more events/competitions, and have lots of fun.

/auction: Mainly for McAtlas, but would make it easier for someone who would want to sell an item, but through a bidding system. When the auction is completed, the item & the gold would be given to both players in sync so that scams could not occur.

Public Polls: Every so often, I believe a public poll should be held to see the feedback from the community about how the server is doing. Questions could vary from, "What server do you enjoy, and why?", "What do you believe could be fixed on Ruinscraft?", or "What would you like to see on Ruinscraft in the future?". I am aware that there have been polls in the past, but I believe more frequent polls would help keep up with the players.

/t set ceremony: Similar to what Plots has, this command would allow a Town, or possibly Nation to host a ceremony or event in which people can come teleport. Obviously there is a lot more to expand on this, such as maybe setting a time if it is in a certain space, and how many times you can set a ceremony within a time period, such as once every 30 days [month]. This possibly could be a good way for towns, nations, and allies to all come together, and have some fun!

Stock Market: This is a broader idea that I have had in mind, and that would be potentially to add a Stock Market feature into the server McAtlas, such as adding a new currency, like coins [gold nuggets but making it a separate entity] or even bringing rubies to be the new currency for stocks. I've thought about this, but currently, I don't have much of a concept behind it due to the fact that I am not that knowledgable about the Stock Market as a whole. Although I believe if I do more research I believe I could make this a more realistic idea.

Moderation & Help: As a staff member, I would moderate the chat closely and make sure nothing would get out of hand. When somebody does break the rules, I would assert my role as Helper, and punish the player appropriately accordingly. If asked questions about the server, using my knowledge I will make sure the player gets the information clearly as possible. Trying to spread positivity and creating a good environment is something else I would heavily work on, as those are key factors to help keep the players happy.

6) Do you have any previous experience as staff on any other server?

No, unfortunately, I do not have experience with being a staff role on Minecraft Servers. Although, I have had leadership roles in which I have hosted Minecraft Projects with others, and I also have experience in being a leader for the JV Tennis Team at my high school. Within these leadership roles, I have had to encourage and be there for my teammates/partners when times can get a bit tricky. When you're in a team of people, you must learn to get along with them and be able to understand each other. Communication with your teammates is definitely key, and it is important to maintain that very well throughout whatever the task is. Through these roles, I truly have gained experience where I can definitely use it in a helpful way to uplift others and support their needs.

7) Why should we choose you over anyone else?

I believe that you should choose me over anyone else because I know that I can be mature when needed, and I can approach a situation carefully and calmly. I want to be a good staff member, but also a friend to everyone. I believe that I can show to be a good role model, and bring positivity to the server. What I generally want to be, is a chill, relaxing member of the community who people aren't afraid to talk to. The one thing I love doing on Ruinscraft is definitely talking to others. I believe being staff means to be a pal, or familiar to others whenever you can be. A lot of the online friendships I've made were from Ruinscraft, so definitely it has made an impact on me. I only hope I can bring that gift to others through the server, and being able to be a helping hand along the way. Being a staff member means to be involved in the community, helpful, kind, and most importantly a friend to all.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you have a wonderful day. =)

Edit [May 19th, 2020]: Adjusted Format & Added 2 Ideas
    Edit 2 [May 20th, 2020]: Added to Questions 6 & 7

#1 LBGator1031, May 18, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Emperyia

Emperyia Member

Ratings:
    +96
    pretty good staff app! although your lack of experience as a staff member isn't positive, i believe you could be great on the Ruinscraft staff team as both an Atlas and Plots player. your experience on the server is nothing to scoff at either, good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  3. _coolbird

_coolbird Member

Ratings:
    +87
    nice application, just /auction has been requested a lot of times, it would be better if you named something that the staff team didnt think of yet. good application though and good luck

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zoppy_

Zoppy_ Member

Ratings:
    +158
    Maybe don't space it out that much o-o!!! My eyes kinda hurt.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Captain_Wheatley

Captain_Wheatley New Member

Ratings:
    +23
    That's what happens when you copy paste from docs

Other than that, good app, probably won't get accepted till you add more ideas and stuff but good attempt

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. LBGator1031

LBGator1031 Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Thank you! I definitely will work to improve on coming up with more unique ideas. =)

• Like Like x 1
  7. ILagWithShaders

ILagWithShaders Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +227
    Wrong. I always write mine in docs first then just copy and paste it into a thread, then check for grammar/spelling mistakes. I will admit, the format is odd. Make the questions bigger than the answer using bold or bigger font sizes

8. CaptainOfTheSeas

Helper

Ratings:
    +699
    Go gator, good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. CaptainOfTheSeas

Helper

Ratings:
    +699
    ayy gator welcome to the gray zone, gl yo

• Like Like x 1
  10. ILagWithShaders

ILagWithShaders Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +227
    monotone moment

11. Zoppy_

Zoppy_ Member

Ratings:
    +158
    GL!

• Like Like x 1
  12. whitetiger131

whitetiger131 New Member

Ratings:
    +33
    If you haven't had any previous staff experience, I would recommend adding why you think you can overcome that or other notable leardership roles that you have held that have prepared you for a staff role.

You're a chill player on the server to be around, and I think you can add more in this section! You've got a lot of good qualities as a player involved in the community, so I recommend you go into more detail on this section about why you specifically have certain traits necessary for staff compared to other players, not just that you are mature and can negotiate.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. whitetiger131

whitetiger131 New Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Your app is looking amazing! You're a great player so I really want you to get staff, you deserve it. I had a few more pieces of constructive criticism I would like to add, so I'll make a reply similar to the one I made on Cap's staff app. Once again, listed by order of importance :)

1. Expand your ideas in Part Four. This is already one of the most detailed apps I've see, but I think outlining how specifically your actions helped the server will allow for staff to clearly see the positive consequences of your actions on the server. A simple way to do this is to follow up your points with the following sentence: "This has helped the server by..."

For example, I would add-on to your questions subpoint as follows (my additions underlined): "As many people have questions on the server, I try to answer them as best as I can. I answer common questions such as, what commands to use, background or history on the server, or World Edit. This helps the server by reducing the overall spam or constant chat flood by new players who need help getting off on the right foot. My approach of explaining both how the server works and detailing the history/context of the server also helps players become interested in the server itself, which increases the activity of the playerbase."

I would try to add-on details to your other subpoints in the category using the same technique because it clearly outlines how you have made a positive impact on the server, and not just the helpful things you've done.

2. Create new, unique spins on past ideas in Part Five. Some of ideas you list in Part Five, such as /afk, competitions and events, and an auction house, have already been mentioned in previous apps many times. The way to fix that is to add your own unique twist on the ideas.

I can't give an example here (for obvious reasons lol), but I will again recommend a strategy, this time being to follow up your ideas with "A way I envision this being implemented is..." This structure forces you to think about the ideas more deeply and sets you up perfectly to elaborate on them. In the server, you're active a lot, so I think it you definitely have the experience necessary to add your own unique twist. In my own app, I tried to accomplish this by making each idea it's own paragraph, which allowed me to elaborate on how it would work/specific ideas I had and create a new unique take on some ideas I believed were necessary.

3. I mentioned this in my first reply, but I think you still can revise and add more to Part Seven. I wouldn't delete anything you have now, but I would separate it into two paragraphs: your qualifications and your aspirations as staff. Right now, you have the first 2 sentences addressing your unique qualifications to be staff, and the last 6 sentences addressing your aspirations. Splitting these ideas into two paragraphs will not only make the app cleaner and more formatted, it will help it flow from idea to idea better.

Also, after splitting Part Seven into two paragraphs, I would recommend adding more to the first paragraph I mentioned, your qualifications. Specifically, I would add more onto your unique personality traits or history on the server that proves you should be a staff member. You do this well in Part Six when talking about how leading your high school team has taught you how to uplift others, so I would highlight it again in Part Seven!

For example, I would write: "As mentioned earlier, I lead the JV tennis team at my school, where I learned valuable skills such as communication and teamwork. I believe this experience makes me uniquely qualified compared to the other applicants because I would easily be able to fit within the structure of the staff team be compatible with the other helpers to more effectively manage the server. Additionally, my experience and positive history on the server would give me a leg up on other applicants because it means more of the player-base would respect me, which would be essential to cooling down a toxic chat and stopping drama."

4. Mention the strategy you use to break up fights or arguments in chat under the subpoint "Moderation and Help" in Part Five. A crucial part of a staff member is to resolve disagreements because they lead to incessant chat flood (as demonstrated by the disagreement between Porto_Seguro and Brazil the day of writing). As such, mentioning how you would get people to stop ranting or listen to the viewpoint of the other side in an agreement is really important to add. You touch on this in Part Four when you mention how during arguments you assert the situation in a calm manner, but you need to add more -- players oftentimes refuse to calm down when they feel they've been wronged, so you need to go into detail about how your strategy would resolve disagreements.

I'd like to reiterate this was an amazing staff app! Similar to my reply under Cap's app, I put a lot of effort into this reply regarding constructive criticism because I want this app to succeed! You're an extremely nice player, and gg on Under Review!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  • About Ruinscraft

Ruinscraft is a gaming community formed around Minecraft. We host a Minecraft server at mc.ruinscraft.com, come join today!
  • Important Notice

Ruinscraft, LLC is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Minecraft or Mojang AB. Minecraft is copyright of Mojang AB. All donations are handled by Ruinscraft, LLC. All inquiries should be directed to: [email protected]
  • Twitter

Follow us on Twitter for status updates, news, and more!

• Donate

To help support the future development of Ruinscraft and to earn rewards on our Minecraft servers, you can donate here.