Rejected My Staff Application #4

Discussion in 'Staff Applications' started by OinkerCertified, Jul 1, 2020.

1. OinkerCertified

OinkerCertified Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +217
    1) What is your Minecraft username?

Hello! My Minecraft username is Malyesa2. (Big meme yes) I will be changing it back to OinkerCertified as soon as I can.

2) What is your age and timezone (GMT format preferred)?

I am 13. My timezone is EST.

3) How long have you played on our servers?

I have played since the year 2018.

4) In what ways have you helped people on the server?

I've helped countless people on the server. While playing on this server, I've helped people by answering questions in the chat as well as answering such questions in a friendly, kind manner. I try and calm the chat down by using words that are not forceful. This has been done by answering questions patiently so that people understand. By finding more ways to help them understand, players can better themselves, and make a better community that is more open and helpful. I have also tried to calm the chat down whenever people are swearing or using the chat in a harmful way. If they keep using the chat in a harmful way, I’ll report them if it does not get fixed.

I always try my best to be neutral in arguments and I'm super active! I’ve helped people by telling them the commands, what the economy is, and always staying cheerful and positive!

I explain commands such as; "How do I go to my town?", "How do I join a town?". This helps the server by eliminating chat flood by new and confused players. By teaching them the fundamentals at the start, they'll be more likely to stay interested and active in the server.

I spend most of my time on McAtlas, but I head over to plots sometimes to mess around with builds and play with friends. I’ve also looked at chat to see if anyone needs some help, or if I need to report someone.

I always enjoy making new friends in chat, which keeps new players active and enjoying the server.

I always try my best to be kind and not be involved in any controversial issues. Personally, I have been involved in issues like that recently, which I am not proud of. I’ve always tried my best to become a better and more well-rounded person.

5) In what ways would you improve the server?

Chat Moderation

I think the server needs to improve the chat a lot. They can do this by having more active helpers who are also neutral, so nobody wants to hate them. People who don't take sides can help end arguments in a neutral and positive way.

The server needs a lot more control in the chat because it can get pretty wild. When a helper rightfully warns a player, the chat just goes crazier and bashes on the helper. This can be helped by having more active, neutral staff members, who control the chat for bugs and bypasses as well as helping and making sure players recognize if they have done something wrong.

Cracking Down on Toxicity

Another idea is to hear and understand what people need. There's a big problem with chat.

The same people use the chat over and over, and they're people who shout war and prevent others from using the chat. These people aren't even the worst- it's the people who are anti-semetic, racist, homophobic, and harass other players without consequences. These people aren't serious and are the ones who cause a lot of problems.

These individuals aren't serious in my opinion. People may see what these individuals do as annoying and rude. This is a problem since other players won't want to come up and tell them to be serious, as they're very consistent and harass others if they come up to speak.

Out of the hundreds of people online, not many are active in the chat, meaning lots of people don't know about the systems, such as how mcmmo works, or how towny works. The server needs to help people who don't know commands, etc. It's not just commands, but also how Minecraft works in general.

People don't enjoy talking in chat, and they don't want to talk in the chat. This doesn't mean they don't know the commands. They don't enjoy using the chat because of all these players shouting about war and being obnoxious.

We need the rest of the server to be active in the chat, as well as enjoy the chat.

Guide Book

A guide book for new players could also help answer a lot of the important questions, like how mcmmo and the towny plugin function.

I believe that the server can be better if there was a lot more control in chat, and it was more open for newer players. Adding a guide book for them would be wonderful, as well as a chat where people can ask for help!

Maybe some players don't want to read a long book. Maybe a voiceover saying "Welcome to Ruinscraft. Please read the rules over on this side. On this side, you can find information about towny and mcmmo. If you need help with commands, type /t, /n, or /mcmmo. You can also ask a helper for more information!"

On another server I used to play, there was a voiceover tutorial simply pointing to where you need to head in order to move on.

Copying and Pasting Land

An idea my friend, JohannesMir3v, had was to be able to copy a small area from McAtlas and move it over to plots. Then, in plots, you could use it as a blueprint. It could only copy the terrain and nothing built on top by other players.

Maybe asking a staff member if they can copy something they built along with the terrain could help a lot. This can help moderate any inappropriate builds people want to play around with in Plots.

However, only copying the terrain is just an idea. It could just copy an entire chunk. Maybe you could only be able to copy something if it was in your claims!

Applications Under Review

Whenever a player applies for staff, there is an "Under Review" marker indicating the application is under review. However, lots of people don't constantly check the forums to see if their application is under review. Personally, I didn't notice my first one being under review!

What if players would have a little gray "UR" or, "Under Review" marker next to their username, indicating their application is under review?

There could be a different color marker depending on if it was a mute appeal, etc.

Uhh... Bird Gang?

Adding fun things like being able to dye parrots different colors would make players smile. It's a silly but funny idea!

Have rules That are Much Clearer and Easy to Understand

Let’s make something clear: Lots of players are young, aren’t fluent in English, or don’t understand it that well.

The rules are very wordy and extremely hard to get to. You have to go into Terms and Service, and then scroll through the detailed tiny text to find a little orange “Rules”.

So, you click it. You’re supposed to be lead to a page with rules, right? Well, you’re wrong. The page doesn’t have any rules and needs to be fixed.

Let’s talk about rules specifically for the servers like McAtlas and Plots. They’re very wordy, which I understand as the server isn’t run by eight-year-olds. However, there are many young players as well as players who aren’t fluent in English. It’s very hard to understand how the rules are worded. Just having a simple sentence or two that state the rules but are formal would help a lot of players.

McAtlas Map

Mapart is extremely popular on the McAtlas server. The problem is, it is very hard to go out and find a secret area that is flat to create mapart on. You also can't lock maps in 1.13.2, meaning players can grief your hard work.

An idea I have to fix both of these issues is an area specifically for mapart. It can be a grid where players have plots they can claim for gold. There can be separate areas to make mapart that's 256x256, etc. Nobody can grief the mapart, and using a command, it would be extremely easy to get to!

Clearer Rules for Chatflood/Spam

Many players accidentally chat flood/spam. Be it out of excitement, typing too fast, accidentally typing more, they will get warned for it. Even if it's simply correcting grammar, meaning it makes it only four lines in chat!

Players don't understand how easy it is to get warned for chat flooding, even if they don't mean to. I'm presenting an idea: Having clearer rules stating how many lines make it chat flood.

However, there are other problems- many players don't mean to chat flood, and this makes it a bit unfair to them if they get warned. Staff is a bit too harsh, and I feel like they should look at the situation more, and think about the player doing it. "Do they normally act like this? If not, maybe they don't mean to do this?". By looking at the situation, I'm talking about looking at the reasons why the player may have flooded the chat.

A good example of this is having three lines of chat a player has taken up. They realize they made a mistake with spelling, so they correct their grammar.

Bam! Four lines filled up in chat. Suddenly, red words pop up on your screen, almost screaming, "Look at me! Look at me! Alert, alert!". It reads, "You have been warned." Under it, you see the message that pops up in the chat, with the reason why next to it, "Chatflood/spam". You think of this as unfair, since it is- you were simply correcting your grammar which made it hardly chat flood!

I think staff members should look at the situation more before warning a player for chat flood or spam.

Group Chats/Multiple Parties

People have loads of friends on the server(s). More specifically, they have multiple groups of friends.

Many people use the Mcmmo Party system as a way to talk to specific groups of friends. Problem is, people have multiple groups of friends, or want to have a debate. We only have one party currently.

My solution: Add the ability to have multiple parties. You can chat in one specific party by typing "/pc1", etc.

To fix an issue with exploiting twice the mcmmo exp gain, a player would choose which party they would gain the mcmmo experience from. If a play does not decide, it will be decided for them, based on whatever party member is closest.

6) Do you have any previous experience as staff on any other server?

I do not have any actual experiences as a staff member. However, I want to help others and make the server a better place. Helping is something I love to do. By adding guide books, as well as a chat new players can ask for help in, the server would be a much more open, happy place. Because I don't have the experience, I can't point specific things from the past. But, I think being open to help others and being a happy, friendly person are all important attributes to have if you are a helper in the server.

The reason I said I don't have any actual experiences as a staff member is because I was part of a build team on a small server, which was just starting up. It likely never went anywhere, but yes, I have been a "staff member,".

Answering questions in a serious, but kind manner as well as being a friendly and happy person is something that makes a great helper. The players will know that they can go to you with a question without being afraid to do so, and come back with an answer.

7) Why should we choose you over anyone else?

I enjoy and strive to be a happy, friendly person who is always open to answering questions! Be it something about the economy, or about mcmmo, I'm here to help with a smile on my face!

I try my hardest to respect everyone, and nobody specifically hates me.

Helpers need to respect players, and players need to respect helpers because having a good relationship between the players and staff is going to make sure new players are more comfortable when playing on Ruinscraft, and people can enjoy themselves a lot more. The server would improve greatly by becoming more serious with chat moderation and cracking down on toxicity.

If I try to do something like being more serious and taking care of troublemakers who need to learn, I can help make players more comfortable asking questions, as well as enjoy the server more! I try my best to calmly defuse situations by talking to both sides individually.

I'm always striving to be happy and friendly, and I'm one of the first to answer a question in chat! The other helpers are more relaxed and don't take things personally sometimes. That's not a bad thing, as having a good relationship between staff and players is great! Thing is, staff members need to act accordingly when they need to take care of troublemakers or warn them.

Others applying for staff will say something like, "I have experience, and I have worked with this a lot, I know this and that." I don't know any of this. However, I am open to learning new things. If I do something wrong, I am open to working on my mistakes and become a better person.

I respect everyone on the server. I make sure to stay neutral and keep it balanced. I have not received any hate from others, and I'm therefore neutral. I've always tried to shy away from a side when players argue in chat. I try to see both sides of the argument.

I have seen a lot of helpers are hated and I think a helper needs to be respected, but they also should respect the players. Helpers should be respected as a person, and not the title.

I’m very involved in the community and active! I’m always there to help. (Recently I’ve been keeping to myself as I’ve just felt like I should. I haven’t been in the right mindset, so I’ve taken a step away from helping as much. If I help people when I’m in this mindset, it doesn’t help much and I don’t feel as fulfilled. The other player also doesn’t get a happy, kind answer that answers their question well. Also, I’ve decided to step away as I’ve been indirectly involved in some drama and I want to step away a bit and calm down. Quarantine hits hard.)

However, I try my best to be involved and keep away from controversial people and things!

Enjoy your day, and I hope you enjoyed reading this!

#1 OinkerCertified, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Izer_

Izer_ Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +973
    A little long, see about trimming down some of that fat if you can. Good luck.

3. OinkerCertified

Ratings:
    +217
    Bruv tell that to shaders
    lmao anyway thanks for the tip, just figured if I kept it thicc like a lotta other accepted apps, I might have a better chance

4. Izer_

Izer_ Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +973
    Very professional, shows true staff behaviour.

5. OinkerCertified

Ratings:
    +217
    yis yis

i good choice

Nahh just joking with you! I have the ability to be professional. I think...
    ONE SEC LET ME RETHINK MY ENTIRE LIFE PLAN

6. Hafixion

Hafixion Member

Ratings:
    +170
  7. Hafixion

Hafixion Member

Ratings:
    +170
    also nice app should be staff, munch+jamess+oink best staff

8. OinkerCertified

Ratings:
    +217
    Yep! My parents are gonna be more lenient, said they would be checking every time I play Minecraft and I had to go to the kitchen when I did.

9. FrenchieCB

FrenchieCB Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +162
    It's a really good staff application and it certainly shows how invested you can be on the servers/forum. The only problem I have is the "cracking down on toxicity", I think that those who are shooting "war" aren't the toxiest players. Those who are the toxiest are people like PEW or lemai_zucc, talking about genociding women and minorities, I've talked to some players about this situation and they all told me that: "they didn't know how they aren't perma muted or banned for what they're saying". We should firstly crack down on the toxiest players who are constantly sponsoring unpunished hate toward minorities or/and women, and then we shall see what we can do about war. Anyway, good job on that one oinker and I hope you'll get accepted ! =)

10. _coolbird

_coolbird Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +386
    you couldve renamed yourself to malyesa as malyesa renamed herself to xixg...

11. _coolbird

Ratings:
    +386
    malyesa2 name sucks why didnt u name urself to malyesa

12. ILagWithShaders

Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +1,696
  13. OinkerCertified

Ratings:
    +217
    :( I wanted to but the names are locked for 31 days after they are not used

14. OinkerCertified

Ratings:
    +217
    I agree 100%! I definitely should change that!

15. _coolbird

Ratings:
    +386
    why
    u not wait bro it could have been better name :((((((((((((((((

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. OinkerCertified

Ratings:
    +217
    nu

17. Ieclen

Ieclen Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +326
    Good app, I have no advice but get lots of opinions really

18. OinkerCertified

Ratings:
    +217
    :)

19. ILagWithShaders

Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +1,696
    wait bruh this is almost a word for word copy of your last application
    Not to be rude or anything, but if you want to be staff, put effort into your applications instead of copying and pasting the exact same thing from last time. It shows laziness, and that isn't a good trait to have (I'm being a hypocrite [I'm lazy as lol] rn but idc).
    Update nether

20. whitetiger131

whitetiger131 Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +443
    Good luck! I love how this is a good, long application with a lot of unique ideas! I can provide feedback if you are interested, but this is solid! :)

- your friend,
    tiger

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • About Ruinscraft

Ruinscraft is a gaming community formed around Minecraft. We host a Minecraft server at mc.ruinscraft.com, come join today!
  • Important Notice

Ruinscraft, LLC is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Minecraft or Mojang AB. Minecraft is copyright of Mojang AB. All donations are handled by Ruinscraft, LLC. All inquiries should be directed to: [email protected]
  • Twitter

Follow us on Twitter for status updates, news, and more!

• Donate

To help support the future development of Ruinscraft and to earn rewards on our Minecraft servers, you can donate here.