MCPLOTS 1.16 Update

Izer_

Sponsor Bundle
May 23, 2015
British Columbia, Canada
probably would be a full server reset
I like the idea that somebody else suggested, where they add a second, new MCAtlas for 1.17 (when it releases), and then leave old MCAtlas up for a good while before removing it. Maybe even let you transfer your inventories from 1.13 server to 1.17 server, so you can slowly move everything valuable, bit by bit.

Apr 5, 2020
your graphics card
I like the idea that somebody else suggested, where they add a second, new MCAtlas for 1.17 (when it releases), and then leave old MCAtlas up for a good while before removing it. Maybe even let you transfer your inventories from 1.13 server to 1.17 server, so you can slowly move everything valuable, bit by bit.
I dont like the inventory bit, but I like the rest. If we could just keep inventories, then people would transport everything in shulkers and it would basically be the exact same server with the same economy

Reactions: Izer_

Izer_

Sponsor Bundle
May 23, 2015
British Columbia, Canada
I dont like the inventory bit, but I like the rest. If we could just keep inventories, then people would transport everything in shulkers and it would basically be the exact same server with the same economy
My point was that if there was an attachment to the current server, making the update be the exact same server if you're removing the old one might be exactly what the server wants/needs. I do agree, though -- I think an entire reboot might be better.

May 26, 2020
Cincinnati
Two mcatlases up at the same time would split the player base, not a good idea.

Reactions: Izer_

Izer_

Sponsor Bundle
May 23, 2015
British Columbia, Canada
The MCAtlas playerbase is a lot larger than the MCPlots playerbase, and a new MCAtlas would bring in new players as well. I think two MCAtlases would be able to survive and thrive for at least a year, which is why I suggest eventually compounding them and removing the old MCAtlas.

Oct 4, 2015
This would split the playerbase however this would not matter as this would not make anyone quit as ultimately nothing is lost. In fact, having 2 different mcatlas servers would be a good idea since the newer server would appeal more to new players and those who want a fresh start and the older server would appeal more to those who do not want a fresh start and feel that they still have something to do on the older server. This would also allow staff members to gauge whether there is a greater demand for a newer server or older server.

May 26, 2020
Cincinnati
This would split the playerbase however this would not matter as this would not make anyone quit as ultimately nothing is lost. In fact, having 2 different mcatlas servers would be a good idea since the newer server would appeal more to new players and those who want a fresh start and the older server would appeal more to those who do not want a fresh start and feel that they still have something to do on the older server. This would also allow staff members to gauge whether there is a greater demand for a newer server or older server.
like 50% of the player base are old players who would stay on old mcatlas and not all new players would stick with the new mcatlas, so it'd still have a smaller community. With the map that would possibly be twice the size as the current one, it would be very empty if both were open at the same time.

Izer_

Sponsor Bundle
May 23, 2015
British Columbia, Canada
like 50% of the player base are old players who would stay on old mcatlas and not all new players would stick with the new mcatlas, so it'd still have a smaller community. With the map that would possibly be twice the size as the current one, it would be very empty if both were open at the same time.
Remember how many new players Atlas brought in? I'd except the same result from Atlas 2.0, in addition to the two eventually combining. No loss in community size.

May 26, 2020
Cincinnati
Remember how many new players Atlas brought in? I'd except the same result from Atlas 2.0, in addition to the two eventually combining. No loss in community size.
Initially, mcatlas was only old ruinscraft players, It never brought in one big group at a once. After a while maybe they will balance out but it won't be instant.

Izer_

Sponsor Bundle
May 23, 2015
British Columbia, Canada
Initially, mcatlas was only old ruinscraft players, It never brought in one big group at a once. After a while maybe they will balance out but it won't be instant.
A lot of old RC players returned with MCAtlas, and the playerbase grew for a while. Another server will bring in people with certainty, and keeping the old Atlas is probably the safest and least controversial way to do that.