Rejected JamessV's Staff Application

Discussion in 'Staff Applications' started by JamessV, Jun 28, 2020.

1. JamessV

JamessV Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +80
    1) What is your Minecraft username?
    My username is JamessV, and for a short time it wasn't, but I doubt I'll ever change it again.​

2) What is your age and timezone (GMT format preferred)?
    I'm 16 years and 7 months old, and I live in Nashville, which is GMT -5:00 or CST.​

3) How long have you played on our servers?
    I can't give a definite length of time on how long I've been playing, honestly. I know it was some time before I made my forum account, and I made that as far back as August of 2015, so safe to say I'm a Ruinscraft veteran.​

4) In what ways have you helped people on the server?
    I'm no whitetiger131, but I've had my fair share of de-escalations in my time. A good example is trying to make the nation of Africa work, since a lot of the people from both sides of the initial merge between North Africa and New Africa didn't like eachother. In fact, they still hate eachother, I'm pretty sure, but they've been willing to put their differences aside so far and contribute to the second-or-third-largest nation on the server, which I would say is quite a feat in itself.
    Another notable example has been between xDeadPine and CaramelZombie/rimflakes/cumchugg. They've been at each other's throats for a while now, but in my opinion there would probably be a war going on between the two if I hadn't stood in between them (with the help of whitetiger131, of course. He's like, a literal peace talk god). I wasn't the one to end it, but I feel I had a good stance in stopping a flame war or two, which nobody needs.​

5) In what ways would you improve the server?
    Now, I've got no useful coding experience, but I do have some ideas. I've been putting these out in the ideas channel in the discord, but I don't know if anyone reads those or not. The first thing would be to take slowmode off of the gallery channel and put it on the ideas channel instead. Slowmode in gallery makes it hard to post multiple pictures of a build, but you wouldn't need to put more than one message in a row in #ideas.
    Another idea of mine -I made a thread about this, but I don't know that it got anywhere- would be to get rid of /pinfo and instead reinstate the punishment tab. I believe you could go to ruinscraft.com/bans and it would give something like a database. This is useful for spotting which staff are active, which staff are abusive towards certain players, and best of all, it doesn't flood the in-game chat. Those are my two main ones, but I've got a few smaller ones that I'm not sure are worth mentioning since this is getting to be fairly long.
    One serious perks of me being in a staff position would be a perfect combination of the facts that A) I spend a surplus of my time on MCAtlas, MCPlots AND Creative Infinite and B) I do love it when people follow the rules. I've got experience de-escalating, monitoring chat, and helping players like SMILODONE who don't have discord still feel like they're a part of the community (which they are, of course).
    6) Do you have any previous experience as staff on any other server?
    Even starting here on RC, I'm a minimod. I tend to report anything I can. On other servers? Nothing that took off. But I do have some real-life experience with leadership. I was in National Junior Honor Society in middle school and am currently applying for National Honor Society in high school. I haven't had a standard class since Freshman year (schedule available upon request), and even then I was chosen as a student of the month for being something of a teacher's pet. I've also got a somewhat personal story that I'd prefer not to share publicly on the forums that relates to leadership, but if any staff would like to hear it they can contact me on discord @Jame#5578 .​

7) Why should we choose you over anyone else?
    If anything, I suppose you should consider me. In my 5+ years of playing on Ruinscraft's servers, I've only gotten one mute. I don't go snooping around other people's records, but I think that only one mute is fairly rare for a player of my loyalty. On top of that, I'm called a Minimod. I am, really. I'm on the job and I haven't even been hired. I've actually started looking into policing as a career because of the opportunity to keep the peace. Going along with my informal title, I'm very active. I don't have much else going on in my life right now, and I've got a vested interest in RC. Another strength, and I doubt it will change even with my upcoming classes.
    See, if my application is accepted, this will obviously work in the server's favor. I noticed that an alt of _69420_ as well as an army of bots terrorized the server for a full 3 hours because none of the 24 staff members were online until JoeBoney (God Bless) got on and started casting them into the shadow realm. I was on that entire time, however. I can't stop waking up at 6:30 in the morning. I understand if you have someone else in mind for this job, I just figured I would throw my hat in considering my 5+ years of activity and silky smooth record.​

Have a good day to anyone reading this and sorry for the mileage on your eyes after the fact.
    I edited this application after some feedback from whitetiger131. If you'd like to read the pre-tiger edition, here it is: https://prnt.sc/t9y80m

#1 JamessV, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. ExtremeSWnerd

ExtremeSWnerd New Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Sounds good to me, good luck

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. JamessV

JamessV Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +80
    Not even going to comment on your incredibly suspicious username, but people like Crowblers and dogbat are people the staff seem to ignore more often than others, especially in regards to their /pinfo. I'm not letting xDeadPine speak for me in this instance, but I will say that there's nothing immoral about using legitimate evidence against someone to get them punished for things they actually did. You of all people should know this.
    On that note, it's been established both that _69420_ is in possesion of alt accounts at his disposal, given he used one to grief r0x's town, and the lava caster this morning was _69420_. Or at least it's believed, considering he claimed to be as well as went so far as to make two different new towns just to get in my way (an infamous _69420_ classic switcheroo).
    For a new member, you seem to know quite a bit about both _69420_ and I, but looking past that, yes, I have been somewhat biased in the past, but I think the last time I reported anyone from Atlantic was when _69420_ himself was breaking rules like they were borrowed pencils just to spite me. This is good criticism. It's important for all staff members to be unbiased, and I think I need to remember that. Thank you, kind stranger.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Victim

Victim Member

Ratings:
    +67
    bias

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Tombonie

Tombonie New Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I would recommend formatting this so it is easier to read

6. ILagWithShaders

Retired Staff

Ratings:
    +1,264
    bruh

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Izer_

Izer_ Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +824
    gl my man

• Like Like x 1
  8. JamessV

JamessV Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +80
    I thought I did format it, I put the questions in bold then the responses underneath them
    is there a different way I should do it?

9. Izer_

Izer_ Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +824
    I believe they refer to paragraphs and indents. Each answer appears as just a large block of text, which makes it rather difficult to read.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JamessV

JamessV Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +80
    thank you, I will edit it

11. whitetiger131

Wiki Editor

Ratings:
    +468
    Good luck on the app! It looks solid! :D A good friend on the server and an even greater leader. You've got a good head on your shoulders and I think you could be effective in this role :)

If you want feedback (constructive), I can send some :) I hope you get accepted!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Ieclen

Ieclen Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +229
    #12 Ieclen, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2020 at 6:22 PM
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  13. JamessV

JamessV Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +80
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. _coolbird

_coolbird Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +285
    hi mr james

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  15. Izer_

Izer_ Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +824
    He’s allowed to reply to comments and say he has made corrections based on their advice, to my understanding, because it is a direct response to what somebody has said. He cannot make new comments with only the context of bumping and saying he has updated the thread.

#15 Izer_, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Ieclen

Ieclen Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +229
    oh I see, someone commented on my friend's app with something similar to what I said so I just thought to do it the same haha

#16 Ieclen, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Emperyia

Emperyia Member

Ratings:
    +168
    its an aight application, i guess
    still a mini mod though

heil superiorob

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. whitetiger131

Wiki Editor

Ratings:
    +468
    Spending time on this constructive criticism because you're a friend and I genuinely want you to get accepted :D Here's my takeaways and feedback

Top Level changes:
    • In Part 4, talk about how you resolved those disputes and why that helps the server. A significant part of the Helper role is resolving arguments and flame wars in chat - It would be helpful to explain your process of de-escalating and getting opposing sides to see each other's point of view.
    • In Part 7, talk about any in-real-life leadership roles you have that would have prepared you for a staff role (Do you lead/participate in any school clubs/activities? If so, explain why that leadership role irl prepared you for a staff role). A good example in an accepted staff app is Gareth's (tennis)
    • Rework Part 6. At the end of the day, those servers didn't even get off the ground (for various reasons), so it doesn't really provide value by talking about them. A better alternative is to talk about how you manage one of the largest discord servers based off Ruinscraft (Atlas) or maybe put the irl leadership stuff here. Frame it as "Even if I haven't been a staff member before, I do have experience being a leader at [school club/activity] and managing huge projects such as the Africa discord.
    • On the "Minimod" stuff. Frame this as a strength. Don't say things like "On top of that, I'm called a Minimod. As much as I'd like to deny it, I really am." Try to frame it as more of a positive! The entire point of a Helper is to help moderate the chat, and helper is the stepping stone to actually becoming a Mod. I would write something along the lines of "I've gotten a reputation as a 'Minimod', but I see that as a strength from a staff perspective. It shows how I've been active in filing reports, handling disputes, and attempting to help moderate chat, which are all especially important qualities and roles of a Helper. Additionally, I haven't let the criticism get to me - it's because of this mindset that I've been effective in reporting serious cases."
    • In Part 5, expand on how you actually getting a Helper role helps the server. Ideas are important and have been a key idea in every single accepted staff app in the past, but I believe it's also important to talk about how you actually becoming staff improves the server. Here are some common responses that I believe would apply to you: "Increases the overall time of day that staff is on, swift handling of reports and disputes (as your history shows), resolving disputes that are serious (the same way you helped me resolve the Rim-Deadpine beef), minimizing chat flood by getting new players situated, lessening the burden of current staff members (especially as school picks up, having more staff is vital).
    • In Part 7, make "experience" one of your qualifications as to why you should be chosen over others. You've been on the server for more than 5 years! The fact that you've stuck around (while remaining an upstanding player) shows you are dedicated to the server, knowledgeable about how things on the server work, and understand the server culture. This saw success in Cap's staff app, it can see success in yours too!
    • In Part 7 (since that's where you talk about activity), make sure you talk about how you are willing to moderate both plots and atlas, and that you have extended playtime on both servers. This app comes across as very "atlas-heavy", so you need to elaborate how on how you spend a lot of time on both servers (especially considering you've put a lot of time into plots just with StarWarsNerd
    • In Part 7, Don't focus on "only 19 warns & 1 mute in 5 years", but "only 1 mute in 5 years" - you've only been punished via a mute once, showing that you learn from your warnings and have a really good track record for a player of 5 years.
    I'd like to reiterate I think this is a solid app. I only spent so much time on feedback because I sincerely want to see you have success in your application :D In the time I've known you on the server, not only have you been just fun to play with, you've been mature and a good leader, so I think you'd make good staff. Keep doing you, and you got this! :D

your friend,
    - tiger

P.S. Aw, thanks :P

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Hafixion

Hafixion Member

Ratings:
    +75
    No words.

• Creative Creative x 1
  20. JamessV

JamessV Frequent Member

Ratings:
    +80
    hello
    :forumfunny:
    I will edit some stuff, thank you so much for the extra set of eyes!

• Like Like x 1
  • About Ruinscraft

Ruinscraft is a gaming community formed around Minecraft. We host a Minecraft server at mc.ruinscraft.com, come join today!
  • Important Notice

Ruinscraft, LLC is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Minecraft or Mojang AB. Minecraft is copyright of Mojang AB. All donations are handled by Ruinscraft, LLC. All inquiries should be directed to: [email protected]
  • Twitter

Follow us on Twitter for status updates, news, and more!

• Donate

To help support the future development of Ruinscraft and to earn rewards on our Minecraft servers, you can donate here.